WOWZAS! I received a flood of Q’s about supplements after last week’s video on how to test whether your supplements actually work, so I wanted to give you the low-down on the Why’s, How’s and What’s of nutritional supplements so you can make smart choices and stop wasting your money on crap that doesn’t work.
Why Should I Take a Supplement?
The foods we eat should be the main source of our nutrients. And a diet rich in fruits and vegetables should be at the top of our list, BUT:
- nutrients are stripped from the soil that our food grows in
- artificial chemicals and contaminants are infused in our food
- busy urban lifestyles leave us with little time and energy to prepare balanced nutritious meals
In reality, it’s nearly impossible to get optimal amounts of nutrients from food alone. Pollution, exercise and stress also up the amount of antioxidants your body needs to prevent diseases. So taking high quality clinically tested supplements can help fill that gap.
Think of taking supplements like getting insurance to prevent nutritional deficiencies and to supercharge your body for optimal health.
So How Do I Choose a Supplement?
As you’ve heard me say before…..NOT ALL SUPPLEMENTS ARE CREATED EQUAL (Sorry to yell. But this is such an important point I needed to get your attention). Marketing for health care products can be v-e-r-y sneaky because it’s not highly regulated, so don’t be fooled by the label.
Here are my criteria for choosing quality supplements:
- Avoid multivitamins that come in ONE tablet: compressing all the nutrients we need into one tablet makes it very difficult for our body to break down and absorb the nutrients….so essentially, it’s going in on one end and coming right out the other (my apologies for the graphic description)
- Pharmaceutical grade ingredients
- Clinically tested for absorbability, pureness and safety
- Formulation that exceeds the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) – which is only the bare minimum amounts of vitamins and minerals that we need to prevent nutritional deficiencies and our bodies need more than that for optimal functioning
- Guarantees product effectiveness
My personal philosophy with supplements is to only buy from companies who specialize in making them based on research and scientific testing, as well as, high quality manufacturing processes.
I’d rather spend a few more dollars on something that is proven to be effective, than to save a few bucks on a product that doesn’t work. While you may be saving money now by buying cheap supplements, you’ll pay for it in future health care bills if your body isn’t absorbing them.
I’ve chosen NuSkin as my exclusive Product Partner because they meet the criteria I listed above and more. Their supplements are listed in the Physicians Desk Reference and recommended by many doctors. They are also the only company that guarantees the effectiveness of their supplement in your body via a non-invasive Antioxidant scan. If your score doesn’t improve within 60 days, you get your money back!
Is your current supplement company offering you a guarantee on the effectiveness of their product?
I have been taking these supplements ever since I was a teen, and I don’t go a day without taking them. During cold & flu season my immune system is much stronger, when I do get sick I bounce back much quicker, and what is really neat is that it has helped me become more in-tune with what my body needs so that I can help it naturally heal itself.
What Supplements Do You Take?
These 3 things top my must supplement list: (click on each one to read more)
- Comprehensive Multivitamin: LifePak – Comes in a convenient package with 5 capsules that contain 20+ essential vitamins and minerals for optimal health and energy & 60+ antioxidants for cell health so you don’t have to fiddle around with millions of bottles. The nutrients are formulated in the most bioavailable form for optimal absorption in the body.
- Quality Fish Oil: MarineOmega – Ultra-pure source of fresh fish oil tested free of toxins, pollutants, and heavy metals. It is unique in that it is the first omega-3 with krill oil supplement blend on the market making it extra beneficial to brain cells because krill oil can easily pass through the blood-brain barrier.
- Potent Probiotic: ProBio PCC – Clinically proven to encourage the proliferation of healthy live probiotic bacteria in the lower digestive tract and reduces symptoms associated with GI discomfort while promoting regularity.
If you want to find out more or want to get your hands on some >> Email Me. Mention this post and I can get you a 30-35% off discount so you can pay the wholesale price that I pay.
(Disclosure: Please note that as an independent distributor of the company, I may receive compensation should you choose to order products through my referral).
Cost Breakdown: From $4.03/day you can nourish and protect cells, tissues and organs in your body while combating signs and symptoms of aging. That is not an expensive price to pay for your long-term health!
The 3 supplements listed above are good starters. But because our bodies are all different and may need different things, it is best to connect with me to chat about the best option for your specific needs.
But PUH-LEEZ for the love of all things holy…do your research carefully and don’t just buy the biggest and cheapest supplement at your local grocery store!
Check out my post on the Antioxidant scan, which was featured on Dr. Oz. And if you are interested in finding out how much defense your body has against cancer, heart disease and other chronic illnesses shoot me an email.