It’s no secret that a diet rich in fruits and veg is good for you.
- It clears up your skin and gives you a natural glow
- It nourishes your body with the right fuel to give you energy without the crash
- It gives your body an alkaline pH so harmful viruses and bacteria don’t thrive
- It reduces inflammation in your body to naturally heal aches and pains
- It is loaded with antioxidants to slow down aging on the inside and out
But let’s face it,
Eating fresh can get costly, especially if you are trying to buy all organic.
As much as we know organic can be better for us because you don’t get all the junk – AKA the pesticides, insecticides, GMO’s, artificial growth hormones and dangerous antibiotics…..
Sometimes we just can’t afford it.
That’s why it’s good to get familiar with the Environmental Working Group’s “Dirty Dozen” and “Clean 15″. These 2 guides list the most contaminated and cleanest produce available.
So if budget is a concern, try buying organic for the produce listed in the “Dirty Dozen” and go conventional with the others.
Giving your produce a thorough cleaning with a fruit and veggie wash solution can also help to remove pesticides, chemicals, fungi and bacteria. There are lots of commercially available brands, but for all you thrifty natural-conscious DIY’ers here’s how to make your own Fruit and Vegetable Wash for a fraction of the cost.
Wash solution: Mix 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water
Option 1: Fill a spray bottle with this mixture and spray your produce generously. Let sit for a couple minutes then rub/rinse with water.
Option 2: Fill a bowl with enough wash solution using the 1:3 ratio. Place your fruits and veg in the bowl. Let sit for 15-20 mins then rub/rinse with water.