It’s that time of the year for me to celebrate being one year older. Seems kind of surreal that it’s been 31 years | 372 months | 1612 weeks | 11,315 days since I set foot on this planet….Okay plus a couple extra days if you want to get really technical and count leap years but you get the point. WOW! Where did the time go?
Last year, when I hit the big 3-0, all my older and wiser friends kept preparing me for how quickly my life would spiral downhill…actually they told me I would PLUMMET into deterioration….as that seemed to be the common trend amongst those nearest and dearest to me.
Weirdly enough, these past 363 days have been theeee MOST incredibly extraordinary, wildly inspiring, and unapologetically fulfilling time of my entire life. Even though parts of it completely threw me for a loop and turned my life upside down and inside out, a lot of life truths have etched it’s wisdom in my heart.
So here I share, in no particular order, 31 truths about life I’ve learned over the past 3 decades:
1. Perseverance and patience will pay off in due time. Delayed-gratification is so much more rewarding because you’ve actually put blood, sweat and tears into it.
2. Don’t ever settle for less than what you deserve…whether it be in your career, relationships, health….anything in life really, because life is way too short to entertain mediocrity.
3. Experiences add to the vibrancy of your life, not all the material goods you possess. Collect moments not things.
4. Everything will work out at the perfect time and place. It may not always happen the way you expect it to, but it WILL happen when the timing is right. Trust the process.
5. Worrying is like praying for what you don’t want. Spend your energy manifesting all the good things you want instead.
6. You are never given challenges and obstacles you can’t handle. You got this!
7. Surrender all expectations of others and focus on doing YOU. The only person you can change is yourself.
8. Embrace your fears and do the things that scare you the most. Whether you shuffle or sprint, get out of your comfort zone.
9. Learning is a lifelong process. Just because you’re no longer in school doesn’t mean you should stop learning and growing. And don’t ever give up on developing yourself.
10. People always leave. Whether it be a friend, a family member, a partner, a spouse, a child, or a pet. Learn to release the white-knuckled grip on the very things you fear to lose.
11. Instead of hiding and masking your vulnerabilities from the whole world, bravely share it with those you trust. Chances are they share the same feelings too.
12. Hurt people hurt others. It’s a reflection of their inner state and it usually has little to do with you.
13. The toughest and most painful events in life are usually the most memorable lessons and also the very things that propel you to unimaginable growth.
14. Live in the moment and make it so beautiful that it is worth remembering. In the famous words of Eleanor Roosevelt, “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is gift. That’s why we call it the present.
15. Let go of the things that no longer serve you. It’s only holding you back from the many other amazing things waiting to enter your life.
16. Success is not a destination. It’s a journey full of ups and downs + twists and turns. Enjoy the ride.
17. Stay true to your dreams. Don’t ever let anybody convince you that you can’t achieve it. If there is a will there is a way.
18. Karma is real. “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” – Wayne Dyer.
19. The beginning of something you’re not good at can be frustrating, overwhelming and even paralyzing, but practice makes perfect. Start before you’re ready.
20. Judgment is a powerful word. Let go of what you think others think about you and focus on what you think about yourself. That’s all that really matters.
21. Abundance in life is much more than the balance in your bank account.
22. Be very clear with what it is you want, or else you’ll end up with a lot of things you don’t want.
23. The journey of marriage is like getting on a train. Make sure you know your destination before boarding, and double check that that train is going to the same place. Don’t just hop on whatever train is available and hope it will end up in the same place you are looking to go.
24. Unresolved conflicts and challenges from the past will keep reappearing until you deal with it head on. Have the courage to face your fears.
25. The first step to happiness is living in gratitude for all the things you already have.
26. Good manners never go out of style.
27. Cherish the time you have with your family because at any moment those opportunities can be taken away.
28. Be brave and take risks. In the end you’ll only regret the chances you didn’t take.
29. Love what you do and Do what you love.
30. Everything happens for a reason. It’s up to you to discover the silver lining.
31. Give without expecting anything in return. This world needs your loving kindness, and it will come back to you in ways you never imagined!
***Update July 2016:
Fast forward 2 years, and I’ve gained a wee bit more wisdom. So adding a couple more truths to the list:
32. Help People + Your Talent = Your Purpose. Just dig deep and you’ll find the answer you’ve been searching for your whole life.
33. Real love isn’t a feeling. It’s a choice. It’s the commitment to weather the storms of life together, continuously working on the relationship + fighting for it with no plan B. EVER!
Now in the comments below, I would love for you to leave a life truth or 2 of your own that resonates deep within your heart.
PS: Here are a couple other random tid bits about me….so we can get to know each other even better!